Monday, August 25, 2008

Rust Never Sleeps

I rarely ever talk politics because I think it's pointless to argue about and also because I think that the government, from the president down to your local city officials, is totally corrupt and not to be trusted. And, no, I'm not a conspiracy junkie. If politics was an ocean, then over the years we would (hopefully) have noticed that it has gotten progressively more and more polluted. I've seen more and more crap bobbing up and down on the surface of that ocean with each succeeding year. And like it or not, there is very little that can be done about it. Sure, we can collect the junk that washes ashore and send it to a landfill somewhere, but how do we know that it isn't being dumped back into the very ocean that we just pulled it out of? Sadly, we don't.

Tonight I was listening to Ted Kennedy's opening speech for the DNC and saw that "moving" tribute to him and I was moved...but not in the way I was supposed to be (at least I don't think so). I mean sure, we've all heard the "health care speech" many times before. I think it's becoming the go to White Elephant of choice for the Dems. I mean, don't you get a little bit suspicious when the privileged start telling you that they want you to have what they have? Isn't it the nature of the "haves" to keep what they've got away from the "have-nots"? Come on people!

Over the weekend, before this hoopla replaced the Olympic hoopla, I was trying to figure out how much pain I could stand before I'd bite the bullet and go to the emergency room. I believe, tho I have no "scientific" evidence, that what happened to me was a kidney stone -- an extremely painful process for any of you who haven't had the experience (I can't recommend it unless you're freaky that way). Suffice it to say I survived the trial and saved myself from the dishonorable practice of using the ER and then ducking out on the bill (thus contributing to the further breakdown in health care system). Granted, I know that hospital bills are tremendously over-inflated and it would be cheaper to go to Mexico or Canada (if I had a passport), but it's hard to drive when you are doubled over in agony (and how many friends are you on good enough terms with to ask that favor). Maybe I need to make some new friends?

Well, long story short, I've been drinking lots of water and taking over-the-counter pain meds and it looks like I'll be able to go to work tomorrow. Whoopee! But I'll still be thinking about the changes that are creeping over the horizon, be they painted blue or red...

2 comments:

Pris said...

Kidney stones...ohhhhh. I've not had them, but watched a friend go through passing several. Not for me if I ever can have it.

As for politicians, I know some are better than others in a relative sense, but I'm convinced that the definition of 'politician' is 'one who waffles and lies'. If we really want changes in health care, make all of congress fend for themselves in their own health care plans and not the cushy government ones. Send the rich politicians anonymously to an HMO doctor, preferably one who doesn't speak or understand English very well, and require them to abide by what he or she recommends. Let's see what they do then.

Angela Consolo Mankiewicz said...

Kidney stones - I've had 5 - another legacy from my father - murderous.

Re health care: I insist on hoping for single-payer, that is, not INSURING everyone but COVERING everyone.